Saturday, May 15, 2010

"Nice weather we're having"

Do you like talking about the weather?

In the fall of 2008, EDS had a visiting "proctor" scholar from Canada named Wayne. Very smart man, tough, and an activist who was serious about making a difference. Wayne didn't suffer fools gladly, though. He had many pet peeves, but one I especially remember is that he loathed talking about the weather. He told me that he "absolutely refused" to participate in weather-centered chit-chat because it crowds out more worthy and interesting topics.

Ever since he told me his policy, I've noticed how often weather talk permeates daily conversation, especially my own. I contribute to this cultural phenomenon because I talk weather all the time without even thinking about it. Gotta love the box-in-a-box reality that, at this very moment, I'm writing about talking about the weather. (Under Wayne's Rules, am I considered a double offender?)

Like my Canadian friend, I also grow weary of superficial conversation. There are too many important issues that we face as a global community. You know the list: poverty, gangs, the economy, health, etc. (Ironically, one of the headliners on that list is climate change...a topic for future posts.)

At the same time, I've learned in seminary - especially working as a chaplain intern - that so-called "small talk" can lead to "big talk." Meeting someone for the first time, you have no idea their values, temperament, and sensitivities. Before diving in and doing the social justice backstroke, some of us prefer to stick our toe into the water. After all, not everyone has Wayne's self confidence or command of the issues. Weather is a safe topic and therefore a polite conversation starter, an entry point of engagement. Once common ground has been established, then a path has begun which can lead to more important matters.

Like other EDS proctor scholars, Wayne only studied here one semester. I still miss him on occasion, especially his keen intellect and vigorous commitment to social justice. I hope he is continuing to wield his formidable talents for worthy causes. And I must admit: if he was here in Cambridge, I would greet him with "Hey Wayne, isn't this a beautiful day?"

No comments:

Post a Comment