Saturday, June 19, 2010

EDS Highlights

This is my last night as a resident/student in Cambridge, MA. Yesterday was my last time as an MDiv classroom student (even though I graduated in May...I'll spare you the administrative details). Endings are a good time for reflection, and I've been thinking about the highlights of my two-year, ten-month tenure at the Episcopal Divinity School.

Matriculation, 2007 - This was the official welcome ceremony for new students. It is based on a medieval tradition which has been explained to me five times now but still eludes my comprehension. Nonetheless, the service is basically a reverse graduation ceremony, enfolding us into the scholastic and seminary community. Best of all was the surprise at ceremony's end which I won't give away here. I'll simply describe it as act of humility and radical welcome that I've grown to expect from EDS and the Episcopal Church.

Matriculation, January 2010 - Served as a torchbearer on the Day of Epiphany. Beginning with the lighting of my candle, this day ignited (pardon the pun) a light in my life that shined all the way to Pentecost.

Homiletics - I have three favorite sermon moments:

(1) Rt. Rev. Steven Charleston, President & Dean of EDS during my first year, gave two of the best sermons I have experienced anywhere. In the first few weeks, he challenged us to remember that we are not called to be popular but to stand against oppression and to follow Christ. Bishop Charleston told us, in that moment, to let go of the anxieties, the wounds, the troubles that prevent us from doing so...right...now. Blogging won't give justice to that moment, but trust me when I say that he had our attention. Many of his responded to the immediacy of his challenge.

(2)November 5, 2009 - My first and only EDS sermon. What an honor to preach in the chapel space occupied by so many saints past and present. It was a gift to contribute after listening to so many other sermons. My criticism of flip-flops, however, got me in trouble with one or two flop-wearing 'mates. Gotta expect resistance when rebuking sacred cows!

(3) Liberation Preaching - My most formative EDS class of all time, Fredrica Thompsett's course uncovered three of my gifts: a passion for preaching, the ability to focus a message into a five-minute sermon, and the fortitude to preach without notes. This outstanding class has transformed my ministry, no kidding. (P.S. Honorable mention for best course goes to the Gospel of John taught by Prof. Larry Wills in the Fall of 2008. Mind-blowing philosophical stuff.)

Blue Christmas service, December '07 - EDS chapel hosted an evening worship dedicated to anger, sadness, and other emotions which fly under the holiday season radar. Feeling not-so-merry after a messy breakup, I needed a place to shed tears, light candles, and voice my rage. Grieving among friends in the chapel made my struggle a sacred healing experience.

Group Spiritual Direction - My spiritual posse for three years, this group kept me sane and tought me how to listen and love. Lead by the Rev. Katherine Stiles, "my spiritual bishop," our unnamed group had some rotating members during the first 1.5 years, but in January '09 the group settled into the composition it held through graduation. We shared countless moments of grace and mutuality, but the one that comes to mind is the Poinsettia story (to be told another time).

Speeches:

(1a)Harvey H. Guthrie speech - Dr. Guthrie, EDS Dean Emeritus, gave the keynote address at the St. John's Dinner on October 24, 2008. He offered a fascinating perspective about our fast-changing world and how EDS is right on its vanguard. "What is going on, I believe, is a theological sea change...in the long run, the Reformation and the Enlightenment will pale in significance...."
http://www.eds.edu/CURRENT/PDF/Sermons/GuthrieSJS08.pdf

(1b)Richard Rohr, O.F.M. - Had the pleasure of meeting spiritual guru Rohr when he delivered the Kellogg Lectures on campus in May of 2009. Great teacher, kind man, and author of the most profound lecture I've ever heard on campus.

Installation of Rev. Katherine Ragsdale - Had the honor of carrying an EDS banner in the march to the installation of our new president. Viva la presidente!

Episcopal Seminarian Leadership Conference - Classmate Amanda Akes and I conspired to bring our fellow seminarians to Cambridge for this annual conference. We busted our rear ends to make it happen. The community embraced the idea; we had help across the spectrum of Board President Brett Donham to part-time commuter students. Thanks to such broad and enthusiastic participation, our guests gave EDS rave reviews. Seldom have I been so proud of my seminary family.

Both/And Talent Shows 2009 & 2010 - Every community should have a talent show once at least every two years. Such performances reveal our hidden selves, create bonds within the community, and are fun in unpredictable ways.
In 2009, Hilary Greer stole the show as St. Hildegaard, answering the phones at the gates of Heaven while St. Peter took a sick day. In real life, she was a day-of replacement for the actor who was supposed to play Peter!
As for 2010, here's my favorite moment: Randy Callender, host and graduating senior, delivers opening monologue about how he eagerly awaits his freedom from grad school obligations. EDS Development Director William Vaughan walks on stage to recruit Randy as a "Friend of the Program" donor.
William: "What shall I put you down for?"
Randy (in a Scrooge-like role): "Nothing!"
William: "So you wish to remain anonymous?"

These memories keep my soul healthy. Months & years later, I can't help but chuckle out loud. :-)

Graduation 2010 - By no means was this assured. I had to work hard to graduate, especially during the spring semester and particularly the last five weeks when I turned into a desk-bound hermit. Pride, pride, pride not just for myself but for my deserving comrades. It sure felt good to wear that black robe shoulder-to-shoulder with my sisters and brothers!

This is just a sampling of the blessings I experienced on my seminary's campus. Would love to stay and create more memories...

...but when it's time, it's time. Sniff.

Goodbye, EDS, for now!

No, William, I don't wish to be anonymous.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's important to memorialize good times. Some day, seminary memories won't be as easy to recall.

    We had our share of low-lights, too, but I don't think I'll be posting those any time soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete