Monday, June 14, 2010

Jude, Part Deux

Reflecting on Judas warrants a few important caveats.

First and foremost, render judgment with great humility. We almost never have all the facts. (That's why, by the way, I'm dying to read a substantial novel later this summer, because fiction is the one arena where we do have complete information.)

Betrayals trigger strong feelings and quick judgments. In my case, I thought that I understood Jude's motivation. Then I asked questions and watched the truth unfold like May flowers. Petal by petal, reality came into focus. Once I had a fuller picture, Jude's action didn't seem quite so hurtful. Sometimes he isn't as bad as his reputation insists.

Second, having an Iscariot in one's life does not make one Jesus. I am not Christ! (At least not more than anyone else.) I am no martyr, just a lifetime subscriber to "Human Race" magazine.

Third, it's important to check, double-check, and triple-check one's information. The great 20th-century philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein remarked how humanity has an infinite capacity for self-deception. People have rationalized their actions ever since God confronted Adam & Eve about the missing apple. Thus, in my quest for understanding, it's helpful to have a support network of advisers to keep me honest. It's too tempting to bend the data into the picture I want to see.

If nothing else, meditating on Iscariot makes me appreciate the value of friendship. Good friends are absolutely essential. We need their help navigating through the wilderness east of Eden.

No comments:

Post a Comment