Saturday, July 17, 2010

Adventures in Wineberry Country

Yesterday morning, driving home after breakfast with a friend, I pulled over to the side of the road where I live. Hundreds of wineberry bushes were overflowing with deep-red berries. The dark color means that they are ripe, and they don't last once they get to that stage.

Got out of the car and eagerly picked the ones with the boldest color. Not only do they easily fall off the branch, they practically melt in my hand. The area is low ground, close to the Delaware River, and gets lots of sun, and I wonder if that makes a good formula for a bountiful crop.

After gathering a handful of these slightly-gooey things, I hear an unfamiliar KGKGKGGEEER, GEEEERKRGK sound coming from the ground. I'm pretty sure that it's a bird, but I don't see anything. I stop for a moment, nothing happens, and I continue. Taking a few steps to my right a bit further into the woods, I hear KIIIKGKGKGRK!! a little closer this time.

You can tell that I've watched too much TV this hot summer, because my imagination immediately takes me to the scene in "Jurassic Park" when the guy who played Newman on Seinfeld meets a dino-lizard whose innocent chirping quickly turns into man-eating growls. I started to backpedal, "Uh, no reason to get greedy here," and went back to the car.

No idea what creature produced that noise. Like I said, it was most likely a bird, and I didn't want to risk accidentally stepping on a nest. Plus, I'd rather not answer such questions via leg bite, thank you very much.

Got about 50 this time, and I'm gradually stockpiling enough to make jam.

2 comments:

  1. So what is a wineberry anyway? I'm all for berries...

    I sent you a message via FB... might be in your neck of the woods on the trek between Canada and MD or MD and Boston during my holiday - my sister and I are planning to wander a bit. You, however, may be in OK for an ordination, I hear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wineberries are a smaller and more tart version of Rasberries. My July 5 post has more info about "rubus phoenicolasius", some of which I lifted from Wikipedia.

    Yes, I'm be attending Steph's in Oakey-dokie-homa. If you & sis want tourist suggestions for your wanderings, let me know!

    ReplyDelete