Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I Don't Believe in Rock Stars

Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and rock stars... I don't believe in any of them.

Please understand that I'm using the term "rock stars" loosely. Granted, I am hardly a fan of popular music. My grandfather was a professional jazz drummer and my father's all-time favorite performer is Sinatra, so I guess it's in my blood to favor jazz & classical. However, I am not just talking about musicians; more broadly, I have an issue with personality cults.

Every human being who has ever lived has been just that - a human being. That means we are vulnerable. We have emotions. We are flesh and blood, and to dust we shall return. We use the potty, except perhaps for a stubborn four-year old nephew of mine. We are fallible and make mistakes. There are limits to what we know and what we can control.

We know this, and yet we as a society continue to demand a perfect front. We're so eager to find that perfection that we buy into those highly-polished images of performers, models, politicians, clergy, and anyone who frequents the media.

We need to remind ourselves that we've already had a messiah, one known by the initials JC.

Check out this excerpt from the insightful How to Love, the 2009 book by Gordon Livingtson, M.D. Here Livingston discusses narcissism:

Self-absorption linked to ambition describes the personality of many politicians. The higher the office, it seems, the more candidates are required to present themselves as paragons of wisdom and virtue. They become repositories of our best hopes that someone will emerge to take care of us, vanquish our enemies, and by their inspired leadership bring us together in a safe and happy world. To promise such a thing requires a self-confidence bordering on the delusional, which explains why the underlying narcissism of many of our political stars whom we reward with our votes and with whom we eventually become disillusioned when they fail to fulfill their exaggerated promises and our unrealistic hopes. (HTL, 11)

Having worked for a member of Congress for ten years (James Greenwood, PA-8), I have been on the periphery of important and powerful people. So I've seen a few behind-the-scene dynamics. I've learned that, contrary to the scandal and cynicism which pervades news coverage, many of our public servants are just that - public servants. Running for office requires lots of unglamorous hard work, as well as the courage to risk public rejection and failure. Some of our public officials truly have the integrity & conviction as advertised.

On the other hand, we are in no danger of a hypocrite shortage.

The point is that ALL of our public figures - entertainers, political leaders, reporters, and high-profile business people - are fallible human beings. They are not immortals whose mere presence should stir us into a frenzy. "Take up your cross and follow me" was an invitation to discipleship from a certain Rabbi. "Buy my CDs and follow me on tour" doesn't bear the same gravitas, nor does "Hit the campaign trail and I'll give you a government job."

Rock singers, U.S. Senators, Bishops; they have their message. The really good ones have really important messages that excite us. I'm all for inspiration. But let's not confuse the divinity of the message by deifying the messenger.

Let's save our passionate devotion for the real savior. For me, that savior is JC.

Julius Caesar? Jimmy Cagney? Jimminy Cricket? No, I'll go with Jesus the Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment