Thursday, July 15, 2010

It's Hot

The past few weeks have been, to quote an overplayed wedding song, Hot Hot Hot. However, my policy about weather complaints is the Eighth Amendment Standard: I try to reserve griping for "cruel and unusual" weather patterns.

For instance, ice storms that create dangerous driving conditions are cruel. Excessive rainfall that results in destructive floods - ditto. The same goes for draughts which kill plant life and set the stage for brush fires. Those are "cruel" weather patterns which deserve complaints.

"Unusual" means stuff out of place or season. Ninety-degree temps belong in mid-July Pennsylvania, so the present conditions don't satisfy my groan criteria. Reaching the 90s in April, however - which has mysteriously occurred the past two springs - is not supposed to happen. April means the return of baseball, flower buds, and moderate weather, not heat waves.

So yes, it's very very hot out there. Abiding by the 8th Amendment policy, though, I have no complaints. I'm just thankful that I have a roof overhead and a cool place in which to blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment